10.03.2018 - 08.04.2018 | Opernhaus Graz
Candide is an operetta with music composed by Leonard Bernstein, based on the novella of the same name by Voltaire. The operetta was first performed in 1956 with a libretto by Lillian Hellman; but since 1974 it has been generally performed with a book by Hugh Wheeler which is more faithful to Voltaire`s novel. The primary lyricist was the poet Richard Wilbur. Other contributors to the text were John Latouche, Dorothy Parker, Lillian Hellman, Stephen Sondheim, John Mauceri, John Wells, and Bernstein himself. Maurice Peress and Hershy Kay contributed orchestrations. Although unsuccessful at its premiere, Candide has now overcome the unenthusiastic reaction of early audiences and critics and achieved enormous popularity. It is very popular among major music schools as a student show because of the quality of its music and the opportunities it offers to student singers.
Candide is an operetta with music composed by Leonard Bernstein, based on the novella of the same name >> Read more
Graz Opera (German: Grazer Oper) is an opera house and opera company in Graz, Austria.
Opera had been performed in Graz since the 17th century, originally in a converted coach house on the Hapsburg royal estates. The National Theatre (Schauspielhaus Graz) constructed in 1776 saw many early performances of Mozart`s operas, although today (after many reconstructions) it is devoted to the performances of plays.The city`s first dedicated opera house and the immediate predecessor of the Graz Opera was the Thalia Theatre adapted in 1864 from an old circus hall. Plans for a new theatre suitable to the growing size and importance of the city and intended to be a `new home for German art` were first proposed 1887.Designed by Ferdinand Fellner and Herman Helmer in the neo-baroque style, the Graz Opera was inaugurated in 1899 with a performance of Schiller`s play William Tell, followed a few days later by Wagner`s opera Lohengrin. The building suffered damage during World War II bombings but was repaired and re-opened after the war. Between 1983 and 1985 it underwent a $15 million renovation which saw the installation of modern equipment and facilities without significantly changing the original exterior and opulent interior of the building.